Sunday, February 7, 2010

Anything But Thumb Twiddling

Well, it's been quite a while since my last post. This could either be a result of disinterest, lack of randomness in my life, or forgetting my blogger.com password. However, I'd like to credit an overwhelming flood of social engagements, random life occurrences, and progression towards a career (yes, one which actually involves monetary net gain.)

While deciding whether to pursue a Masters in Fine Art, I continued to drive the tow truck which brought health insurance into my needy life. At the suggestion of photographic mentors at Maine Media College, I signed up for photography workshops, entered an entirely new way of approaching the camera and subject and began a spiritual journey led by my Nikon.

On my 30th birthday I sat on a plan bound for Albuquerque, enjoyed fellow passengers signing to me along with a boisterous flight attendant, and picked up a hitch hiker which led me to my first documentary photograph (right.) Sonia was stranded, unable to rent a car without a credit card, in search of her husband who left the family abruptly in search of answers he believed could be found amongst peace loving hippies gathered in the desert for a Rainbow Festival. No goodbye, no notes, no promise of ever being seen again.

With the aid of a private investigator, Sonia was able to track his location, borrowed money from his parents to fly out, and was left with $200 to her and little Noemi's name. Her destination: Cuba, NM. Her hope: to find her husband among the thousands, have him look into Noemi's eyes and realize he couldn't leave them.

I took her on the ride to Santa Fe, smuggled her and her baby into my dorm room, stole food from the dining hall and took pictures the whole way. She left a day later having found a friend to lend a credit card. Her phone number has since been disconnected, and I suspect I'll never find out her destiny.

My summer began with the most unexpected, however. I started dating someone! I had absolutely no desire, or intention, but continue to be awed by how wonderful a relationship can truly be. No more feelings of making sacrifices in my life, or the need to please someone constantly with little in return. Since his entrance into my world, adventures have flourished. Trips into Boston to ride the carousel at midnight, lake jumping, folk festivals, playing arcade games soaking wet after a rogue ocean wave attacked, mountain biking at Lake Champlain, introduction to sushi, romantic getaways to historic mountain inns, ziplines through the forest, night time snow shoeing, bargain hunting at Cabela's, camping out in the freezing cold of Acadia, bomb school in New Mexico, summer concerts, and dinner parties.

The good news? He pushes me towards the unexpected, such as:
Channel 9 news clip

No comments:

Post a Comment